Thursday 30 November 2017

To Francis Douglas Memorial College International Department: Thanks for the Memories by Yutaka Kunizaki

Today is my last day before parting from Francis Douglas Memorial College in New Plymouth and friends who I have shared time with for the last 5 years. For me, the last five years have become an irreplaceable and unforgettable time. I’m convince that going to school here in New Zealand changed me for the better. I made a lot of friends through studying in New Zealand and the people and the environment broadened my horizons and shaped my character.

In my first year in New Zealand, there was nothing I knew, except Oreos and Macdonald’s. It was not only stuff that I wasn’t used to, but also, behavior and perspective. For example, greeting someone. When I was walking in town, I saw a person coming towards me and then he looked at my face. Guess what he did? He smiled and said ‘Hi.’ How normal is that It is normal in New Plymouth, but it was not normal for me. You see for we don't do that in Japan. It may be because we are nation of over one hundred twenty-six million and would you greet to each one of them? Probably not, but what I’ve learnt here is greeting someone like a wave of a hand and saying hi, always make us happy and is very normal everyday behavior.

Another example was I could see the stars. It’s also normal but that could never happen to us. Even at night, the sky is filled up with lights. Everyone knew we were all looking for happiness and building to reach the sky. What I want to say is that if you really want to be happy, then, sometimes you must be satisfied with what you’ve already got instead of crying for the moon.

I know that I want to say thank you, but thank you is too small words to fill up the gap. I really appreciate everything, Mrs Smith, the teachers and the staff in the hostel have done for me, especially for the last 5 years. I couldn’t have reached where I am today without you, thank you so much.

Before finish I just want to say thanks to all of you guys and I will promise you that I will always remember the memories that we made.
Thanks for your time and thank you for the memories.


Yutaka Kunizaki

Leaver 2017/11/30 Francis Douglas Memorial College

No comments:

Post a Comment